Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Am Going To Pray For Jessica

As the furor over the Cranston West High School banner situation finally begins to fade, I have done a lot of thinking over the reaction to both the decision and the reaction to the young Cranston girl in the middle of all the controversy. In this space a couple of weeks ago, I really showed my frustration with the situation, and was pretty tough on the young girl in the middle of the controversy. I have decided that tonight I am going to do the one thing that she really might not want me to do. But I am going to do it anyway. Tonight I am going to say a prayer for her. I am not going to do this out of spite, because she is a person who does not believe in God, but because I think she needs it.

She is a young girl with no faith and no religion. I cannot understand how a person goes through life like this. When things are not going well, what does she do? In difficult times, where does she find her strength? So I will pray the she will someday find faith, that she will find religion of some kind, whether or not she agrees with my beliefs. Isn’t this the Christian thing to do? Is it not right to try to help a young person who is in need of direction with our prayers? So tonight this is what I plan to do. Pray for Jessica.

I will pray that her cause was sincere, that she was not manipulated by her parents or other relatives, and this was not a publicity stunt.

I will pray that she can go to school and feel safe and not threatened or harassed.

I will pray that she will use her ambition to do something great in life, to fight for a cause that helps a great amount of people as opposed to just a small minority.

I will pray that she finds faith.

I will pray the she learns tolerance, that people be tolerant of and respect her beliefs, and maybe even more importantly she be tolerant of and respect the beliefs of others.

I will pray that I am correct about all of the above. If I am not, then I will still pray, because this is how I was raised.  God Bless You Jessica, even if you don’t want it.







2 comments:

  1. This post makes the most sense of the many I have read concerning this ruling and the emotions swirling from all sides. let's do something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "to fight for a cause that helps a great amount of people as opposed to just a small minority"

    That is precisely what she did; it is a pity that you are unable to comprehend that.

    ReplyDelete